Friday, March 23, 2012

Plowshares #1

Okay, so I was thinking about how most people would say that they are not influenced by the media and remembered that even though they might be unaware of that, they can be brought to light and analyze it. But what about those who are unaware and are not in a position to analyze it? Plowshares. Plowshares is the little (technically separate) kindergarten and childcare place within Newton North. I've been thinking about child-psychology lately. How much do THEY pick up on? Wouldn't it be fascinating to find out?!?!?

What I want to do is go down to Plowshares (and if that doesn't work, Chinosi has said that at BC they have a Child Lab where there is a preschool but they do child development studies too) and ask the kids questions. Really easy questions!
For example: What makes you you? What makes you different from the person sitting next to you or from your teachers and parents? What makes someone beautiful? What makes girls and women beautiful? What kind of women and girls do you see in movies and on television (programs and commercials)? And draw a picture (do your best) of what the most beautiful woman in the world would look like. Same for the most beautiful man. (We can use crayons or something).

I really want to have a sample group of at least 10. I really want to "interview" girls but I am really interested in hearing boy's opinions as well.

I went to Ms. Mole (per Chinosi's recommendation) and she referred me to Ms. Menswell (?) in Plowshares. Then SHE referred me to a Ms. Carpino (?) who is the director (who was on the phone and I am to go back at a later time, Ms. Menswell will also talk to her about it first). But everyone I talked to seemed really interested in my project! Child psychology. Fascinating. Hmmm...

So I will also spend some time looking over my research on identity and self and start thinking/ making up my presentation and questions for the kids. Whoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment