Sunday, April 22, 2012

Over Spring Break

Hey! April Vacation is over and if I'm being totally honest, I'm behind on the paper section of my SYP. Other than that (though I am working on it right now as well...) I've been pretty productive. I've borrowed my dad's pretty sweet D70 and last Thursday, I dressed up (haha... irony) and went down to good ole' Newton North and stood in front of the biggest brick wall I could find. Right in front of the bus lane, right there. And I had a home written sign that read "I am not an object" and then on my stomach I wrote (with great difficulty, trust me,) I am a woman. 

I will be going to Morris's photolab tomorrow (if he's there, I hope so!) and uploading them to Photoshop. My computers at home don't have Photoshop and the software we have now is pretty lame when it comes to pictures. Best not to chance it. Come to think of it, I don't even think we have an appropriate card reader.. you get the picture. Ha!! That was totally unintentional... at first... Either way, I have to crop out the very bottom corner of my jeans and potentially fiddle with the exposure to make my sign more readable (white in the sun, a tad overexposed, but just a tad).

Anyways, my first real jaunt for SYP photo was awesome. It was pretty weird "standing there in a bandeau taking selfies" I will admit, but I also got to talk to a lot of curious passersby about my project. I'm thinking I should get little business cards with my blog and googlesites urls on them. I think that'd get the word out there, or at least provide a resource for strangers who are interested.

Other than the photography, I hung out with a friend on Friday. Her name is Cora and I have such a profound level of respect for her it's actually nuts. Anyways, she consented to being interviewed for my project (she is an enormous wealth of opinion and information!!) and I am so incredible happy she said yes! She is a very active member of a social justice program called Sub/Urban Justice which works in the Boston area on all kinds of issues (race, sexual orientation, jobs for teens, occupy Boston, you name it), so she has a very interesting spin on things when it comes to advertising and America's current image of beauty. My impromptu interview ended up lasting about 18 minutes so I am working on transcribing that as well.

Tomorrow I shall also go see Ms. Carpino (spelling?) about "interviewing" the little Plowshares kids. It seems that every single time I go, she is busy. Maybe I just really have a knack for going at bad times =P It's totally possible. But that's in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment